Sunday, December 6, 2009

I haven't started my paper due tomorrow

I've fallen to the wayside of all other single, twenty-something bloggers I know, by never posting on this, and I apologize. In my defense, this has been a ridiculous semester, but alas, I know that won't satisfy my word hungry readers. In other news, I have been officially accepted to study abroad in Nanjing, China in Spring 2010, and pending financial and academic roadblocks, I'm very excited to attend. I'll keep you posted.

Some of you might have heard of the internet sensation, a project called PostSecret. I believe I've mentioned it in a previous post on here, but they recently came out with a viral video (the first they've ever done) as seen at this link: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=190260477694&ref=mf

I'm not going to lie to you, this video made me cry. I suppose that's a small secret of my own (or one of them) to share with all of you. Not blubbering all the way through it, just when it got serious towards the middle/end. There's nothing I love more than this idea, that we're all connected, that we're all more similar than we are different, that if you sit down and talk to someone and genuinely listen, you'll probably hear a lot of yourself in their voice. Am I very good at this? No, as a matter of fact, I'm terrible at meeting new people. But, I do love to do it, I think I've just forgotten how. Isn't that why we're so scared to branch out? Because we're worried we won't be accepted, we won't be like them enough to be considered a friend? Maybe I'm shooting into the dark, but when I think about it, those are some of my anxieties. Why worry about trying to meet new people if nothing will come of it?

I'm not sure I really have an answer, because for all of my e-preaching, like I said, I'm at square one. I started this post intending to resolve this all to some action related answer, but the more I think about it, the more I can't decide what to write. I suppose every day I'll just start with a goal to be more open, with one person in my life, to foster a stronger relationship and mutual trust. Who knows, maybe that one person in my life is someone I'm sitting next to in a lab, or my coworker, or my neighbor. Because really, we're all connected.

No comments: